Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Should I keep working my summer job even though I am experiencing wrist pain?

I am 18, female. I started working as a busser at a nice restaurant just over a week ago, and have gradually started feeling more and more pain in my left wrist from holding the serving trays. Now when I turn my wrist counter-clockwise I feel pain and can hear it click, and it hurts the most when I turn my wrist and then bend it back at a 90 degree angle, as if I was holding a tray. (And when I am at the restaurant, once I get all the dishes off my tray and set it down, it takes about five seconds to regain the mobility in my wrist.)Is this just something that everyone working in restaurants gets used to, or is it a bigger problem? I don't want to sustain any permanent damage for a minimum wage job.I was also thinking that I might be holding the tray improperly. Is there a better way to hold it?
Answer:
When you are at work try wearing an elastic Ace bandage or brace. This can help your wrist by supporting it so you don't twist it the wrong way. Take Motrin, Tylenol or Advil, these are NSAIDS or non-steroidal anti-inflammatories which will keep down the swelling. When you are at home, try not to use it too much, keep it down to a minimum. When typing try not to rest your wrists on the desk. Apply ice every 45 minutes to an hour, and when swollen, keep levatated at a 180 degree angle (that's flat!) If this doesn't help, and the pain doesn't subside in 48 to 72 hours, call of work and go to your doctor. Your symptoms can be anything to a sprain to carpal tunnel syndrome. Good luck, hope this helps.
Try wearing an elastic wrist brace (available in drug stores) for support.
maybe you should get an Xray.. you may have sprained it
you can exercise to strengthen your wrist.
may try a wrist brace
No i say quit
Sounds like you're on the road to carpal tunnel syndrome. It's a hazard in that kind of occupation, along with typists, grocery clerks, etc., where alot of demands are placed on your wrists. Lots of times leads to surgery. You may be able to relieve it with a splint obtained a local medical supplier, but for a minimum wage job, I don't think it's worth it.
you have carpal tunnel syndrome..and yes you shouldnt do that kind of work or you may end up needing surgery. you can get a carpal tunnel brace at the drug store, but if it is bothering you that much, i would stop it. does your wrist bother you when you use the computer key board for a length of time? if so, then it is most likely CTS..
consult an orthopedic doctor, who will take x'ray and give treatment accordingly
It may be due to strain, you should take some painkiller for 4-5 days. If pain does not subside you should consult your doctor.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
vc .net