Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Should I take my son to the er, how can u tell if it is serious or not?

My 6 yr old slammed his finger (thumb) in the car door. The back of the thumb is bruised already and its only been 20 min. His thumb nail is also pretty bruised. It is swollen but he can move it. Is it okay! or should I just call the dr and see what she says...
Answer:
If he can bend his finger without pain and no popping or cracking can be heard, if there is no severe bleeding, if he can recall what happened and doesn't seem confused or different than normal, then no it wouldn't be necessary to take him to the ER. Just put some ice on it. It will have some swelling, but as long as there's no protruding bones, lots of blood, or anything that appears very strange then not to worry.
This article provides information on your issue. If you have any doubts, you should seek professional medical advice.http://www.pennhealth.com/ency/article/0...
If there is blood trapped under the fingernail, the pressure may bild up and cause increased pain. I would just ice the area and keep an eye on it. If your child continues to have problems then I would call his doctor
Take him.
I can't believe your still sitting at a computer.
When I was 18, I got 2 fingers closed in a car door. Neither finger was broken, but I did lose both nails (they grew back fine).
Keep an eye on him. Keep it elevated and ice it---20 minutes on then 30 minutes off (so you don't burn the skin). Give him whatever you usually give him for pain/fevers if he complains of pain. If it starts getting worse, then you should take him to the ER.
probley not much they can do..it happened to me when i was about 6 or 7...very sore and the nail came off eventually but it grew back..if you are not sure take him to er but i think it will be ok..ice on it and motrin or something for pain ..good luck
I did the same thing when I was 8, I was taken to the family doctor where he popped the nail off to relieve the pressure (grossing me out fully as blood spurted out all over the room) but the pain was gone, in a few days the nail started to return and I was find. If you can go to your doctor it might be quicker or one of the one stop centers, most emergency rooms are so busy that he might wait in the er while more serious cases are treated.
After icing the injury today, take him to the doctor' or for an x-ray tomorrow if the pain gets worse or persists.You can give him one Tylenol for the pain.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
vc .net