Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Should I tell my parents I smoke?

I'm 16, and I rarely smoke. About 1 cigarette per week, maximum. When I do, they are Ultra Lights...never anything else. I know my parents would be angry and disappointed if they knew. Dont tell me they already know because they smell it on me. They dont. I only smoke outside when they are sleeping or out of the house. Then I come in and shower, brush my teeth, and wash my clothes. My cigs are well hidden too...I know they haven't seen them. I'm not addicted, and dont want to be...I'm not quitting either, because I don't want too...I'm not a heavy smoker, so I know although it's bad, it's not as bad as it could be. My question is, should I tell them, or just keep it as it is? If so, how should I tell them? Thank you so much for you input, I appreciate it. Please don't give me any "you should quit responses."
Answer:
I was in the same situation. I started smoking when I was 14. (I'm 18 now). I used to smoke about a pack or two a week. I did everything I could to try and hide it, but eventually, my parents found out. You can take so many precautions to hide the smell, but you will, at one point in time, be exposed.I'm not going to tell you to quit, since I feel if you want to smoke, go ahead. What I will tell you is this...you should tell your parents. In the middle of a conversation one day, just causually bring up smoking. Let them know that you are aware of all the health risks, and it is your choice to smoke. They should respect your decision. Plus, they should also be smart enough to understand that if they say no, you are going to continue doing it anyway. It may seem like a no-win situation, but if they catch you, you WILL be in huge trouble.Good luck!
ya i think u should tell them before they catch u smoking. they might get even more mad if they catch you.
Tell them. They may get annoyed, but they'll appreciate your honesty, for sure.
if you only smoke alittle---give it up now. i smoked for 30 yrs. yes, i was hooked. what a nasty, expensive dirty habit-addiction. you dont need it. i am 80 days into my quit. i am so proud of me. no, dont tell your parents, but stop. what are you getting out of it? you got to shower, clean close, brush your teeth..i dont get it. . i cant think of any reason NOT to tell you to quit. you are a stonger soul for quitting.
Instead of being angry at you if you tell them, they will be relieved. They will be happy you told them about this, because, I'm sure parents often feel like they don't know anything about their teenagers. Of course they will want you to stop %26 be worried but they will understand, because you told them. It's also a LOT better then if they catch you because then they will be super angry.But i do advise you to quit cold turkey because even though you only smoke once a week now, it might get worse and smoking is HORRIBLE! 1. i think it is discusting and will not date a guy that smokes but also 2. the chances of you getting lung disease or cancer is increseased incredibly! And 3. its not attractive
well, you already know the reasons why not too. and you already know that if your parents found out how dissapointed they would be,, but only you can decide whether to let them know or not. or if you can handle the way theywill make you feel when you do tell them. and if your already decided not to stop. then you may as well be addicted cause you already are experiencing the affects of tobbaco by not wanting to quit.
I wish I would of quit when I was at that same stage in my life. I was about your age when I started and it was only one smoke, but then it led to more and thenmore, and I thought that I was not addicted also, but by the time I wanted to quit, I was addicted and that was over 30 years ago, and Istill smoke, and it stinks, your breath smells bad, your teeth go bad, and your skin turns yellow, besides the fact that you run out of breath when running, or anything too strenuous.
but its totally up to you.. your choice. it is always only your choice.
you have choices all through your life. but when you make those choices remember to think of the consequences of the choices that you have, they will either be good for you, or bad for you.
no inbetweens.. you do. or you don't.. nothing is half and half.
remember that in all your decisions. make them wise and good for you, not bad for you..
and you will be happier inlife.
again, this is your choice, not anyone elses. we can only give you advice, but what you do with that advice is your choice still. hope you do the right one for you.
Tell them, The reason is even if yo usmoke only 1 a week you can get cancer and they will contact your parents, so just to be sure tell them.To tell them just bring it up during dinner? Or if there is a relitive that is younger that you don't want them to know about it set time aside from your life and bring your parent(s) and tell them.
Im a bad one to give you advise here.my dad is on oxygen (CODP), I just buried my 76 y/o grandfather (metastatic lung cancer), I have asthma (second hand smoke) and I just left a patients house (in homecare) with laryngeal cancer-a new tracheostomy and a bed to chair existance (only 50y/o). Oh...did I mention a patient I had in the hospital as a new graduate-44y/o who only smoked a few cigarettes in her teens (peer acceptance mostly)-she was on a heart lung transplant list.she is dead now...
i wouldnt. shoot. but its the right thing to do
if you never tell them, you will always be able to use that as an excuse to not smoke forever, even if you hide it for 10-15 years. smoking and have a great time untill the oneday you realize that your ready to not do it again. sure its fun and your parents probably did it once too. just remember how to quit and what it feals like to not smoke

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
vc .net