Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Should I take pain medication?

I have 2 herniated disc along with a degenerative disc in my lower back. L5 and L6 to be exact. All of which is causing Sciatica. I have tried everything. Physical therapy, nerve block/injections, acupunture and chro just to name a few.I am a severe asthmatic and thus suffer from a wide range of allergies, one of which is NSAID's e.g Motrin, Advil etc. Being allergic to antiinflammatory meds is a big problem when it comes to controlling pain since I can't take them and that is the primary treatment for my problem. I am only 41 years old, I refuse any type of invasive treatment, so that leaves me with 2 options #1 spend the rest of my life in severe pain eventually becoming less and less functional #2 which is highly recommended by my pain managementt team and my orthopedist, and that is to take narcotic pain meds for an extended amount of time. Heres the problem I am TERRIFIED of becoming addicted . We all hear the horror stories. I would be monitered closely. What should I do?
Answer:
Oh Boy! Do I ever understand your problem!
I have functional disabilities of the spine all the way down due to degenerative osteoarthritis. I, too, have worried about addiction and refuse to take anything that will cause it over a long period of ingestion.
I have an Osteopath and a Chiropractor, both, plus I am one of a group of persons who is a total believer in Complimentary and Alternative Medicine (CAM). I just don't like having the options out of control.I took only herbals until it got to the point where they could not handle the pain problem. Then I was diagnosed, like I already didn't know it, disabled, last year. My problems had gone on for years.I finally faced the fact that I would need pain medication and I spoke to the Osteopath and he prescribed the lowest dosage of a medication and a muscle relaxant. I take it as needed because the pain varies from mild to intense. I've been on it for six months now and am not having problems with it. And I'm happy to say, no signs of addiction either. It is an opioid and I am monitored. I did not want to take Vicodin or anything like it.It may be that your pain is more intense and you couldn't take something like this, but at least, discuss it with your pain management team. And, don't be afraid. It's something you have to do to remain as functional as you can, for a long as you can. Also, I take tumeric as an anit-inflammatory. Ask about whether or not you could take it with your asthma. This is an alternative and make sure it is thoroughly researched by your pain management team before they give you an answer.Good Luck!
Take the medication. Since you will be closely monitored, you can let your doctor know right away if you feel like you are growing dependent on the drug.
Try not to worry about becoming addicted. You need the meds. Take 'em.
If you would be closely monitored, I'd go for it. One option would be to take the meds only when the pain gets really bad, rather than staying in a state of low-level infusion.I'm so sorry to hear about this. I can understand your fear of invasive procedures, but hope you've done sufficient research to learn about the potential successes as well as the potential drawbacks.God bless.
You already have a doctor or else you wouldn't have the knowledge of your condition in such detail. Ask a qualified medical practitioner. Don't leave your health in the hands of a bunch of Yahoo's(pun intended).
i would suggest taking them as if you will be monitored you can let your dr know if thik ur having a problem or are becommign addicted to them and most dr will know i ur addictged or not.
I was reading up on this because I have started taking opioid painkillers for a chronic problem. It turns out that hardly anyone taking narcotics for pain ends up addicted. Some people develop a physical dependence, which just means that you need to gradually cut back the dosage instead of stopping all at once. (Addiction is when you get high and keep wanting to take more and more of the drug.)Most people feel more normal and are able to function better when their pain is controlled. They don't get high.Doctors are very, very afraid of the gov't taking their licenses away if they prescribe too many painkillers, so when you have your doctors urging you to do this, you know they are convinced the benefits far outweigh the risks.I'd say take the pain meds.
take the meds...Your Doctor will give you enough for your pain and if you take more than you should, that's when you become addicted...I have been taking Pain Meds for years...I almost have the same thing as you.
I have degenerative Arthritis, without the pain meds, I know I wouldn't want to be here, because I just couldn't take the pain...
Take the Pills, just don't abuse them and you will be fine..good luck

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
vc .net