Sunday, October 25, 2009

Scary operations :(?

Whats your biggest fear about an operation?
My mum has just had one an the worst bit I thought was the Catheter (is it called that), the thing they put in your hand . My mum has a high pain tollerance an she said it really hurt, an when I visited her today the women doc took it out an oh my god, it was massive about a 6 inch plastic thing that goes in the vain.
See thats the only thing that scared me, not the actuall operation itself. Luckily I dont have an op coming up, but oneday I might have to, how do I get over this fear. I really dont think I could let anyone stick that in me.What scares you most?
Answer:
I have had several ops and they can do what they want to me as long as they don't put in one of those things!! They do of course and I feint when it's going in and when it's coming out!! I can't say it hurts it's just the thought of it! In fact I feel feint now just thinking about it! YEUCH!!
I am terrified of wasps
The IV catheters are pretty bad, but the worst thing is the intubation tube. ( that's the tube they stick down your throat to keep you breathing.)
The catheter looked big but not all of it was in your Mum's vein. The big part stays on top of your skin and they hook up the intravenous infusions on that part. They often put a lot of tape on top to hold it still and protect it. The part that actually was inside her vein is tiny, flexible, soft plastic tubing. They insert the catheter with a sharp needle inside the plastic tubing, and as soon as it is in the vein they withdraw the needle, leaving the soft tubing in the vein. Yes, it can hurt when they insert it because it is a needle.
The scariest part of an operation is the anesthesia for me. It is also a very dangerous part.
I share this fear with you, I know doctors make mistakes, and I guess my worst fear would be to be awake during surgery, and I couldnt tell anyone. I heard on the radio one night, that a man end up commiting suicide over his trauma of being awake and feeling the pain of surgery, he just couldnt get over it. Getting my wisdom teeth out was worse than having my four children, because giving birth still fealt more natural. When they were putting me under through an IV in my left arm, I fealt this horrible pain all the way up my arm before I was knocked out, it got worse, when I woke up I was throwing up blood, and they had to get a cot for my husband to lay down, because he almost past out watching me. My dad was one of those preachers that did not believe in doctors, (which I do) but it has left a mistrust in me towards them a little, but I know everything is in Gods hands, you just have to have someone pray with you if you ever have to go through this, it will calm your spirit. I also know there are amazing surgeons out there, and I believe God does guide their hands, and many have given him the credit. When things cant be explained by the human mind, we know whos at work in it. We know its a miracle. I have Rh negative blood, so I had to get shots all through my pregnancys, and blood taken regulerly, I hate those needles!, I just look away and and tighten my fist and hold my breath until its over. all I know is everytime I was lucky enough to have a young black female take my blood, it never hurt, I dont know if its o.k. to say this, but they are the best at it, and I have had this done a lot, just my experience. hope your mom is feeling better.
em hate to frighten you even further but your mums insertion was just so they could administer drugs or take blood easily instead of repeated injections. I would call what your mum had an iv or a bung. a catheter to me is when someone has that very same tube inserted in their urethra so that they pee into a catheter bag rather than go to the loo normally. I'm not a nurse so maybe the bung in her hand is officially called a catheter but hey if you ever met someone who is paralysed, you would know what a real catheter is!! I believe they insert it while the patient is sedated though so your mums bung in her hand was very minor pain wise, yes it's irritating but not painful in realistic terms. these days with proper pain killers people in severe pain are given morphine etc so they dont experience pain as bad as people in the old days did. thank your lucky stars you're not in pain instead of worrying about pain that you dont even have!!My worst fear: loosing mobility or the ability to communicate!!
Pain went out with the indians when pharmaceuticals got a grip on things! No one needs to suffer pain these days visit a cancer ward and few people are in pain!! Thats what medicine is for even if it is chemical.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
vc .net