Saturday, October 31, 2009

Short of seeing a podiatrist...how can I get rid of an ingrown toenail?


Answer:
well i have the same problem since i was 4. i tried everything ! don`t cut it don`t do anything it will just crack ! and then it will hurt and get infected. You must let them grow ! it will take a while and it will be painfull until it grows ...but don`t tpuch it DON`T cut it...let it grow until the corners get out. wash your feet very often in order not to get infected.
Its best leaving it up to the medical profession so it cant get worse.
See a foot doctor they can help u tremendously. Don't do anything your self u may cause infection then where will u be.
Cut a "v" wedge shape in the middle of your toenail with some nail clippers...it takes the pressure of the side of your nail so it won't hurt while it grows a bit. In the future always cut your nails straight across...never curved down on the sides, thats what causes ingrown nails...cutting off the corners is a no-no!
depends on how deep it is. if you can get under it with a pair of cutters, not clippers, you can get it out yourself and then just keep it from getting too long. if it's extremely painful, see a podiatrist and let him numb the area and cut the nail. if it's necessary, he may recommend surgury to place a metal plate under the nail to keep it from growing inward, or total removal of the nail entirely.
Go to a doctor who will cut the sides of your nail straight down, destroying the base of the nail at the side, so it will only grow straight up from that point. That was the one method that worked after a couple of years of pain and every other suggestion.You might be different, but that's definitely the option I would choose again.People say that cutting a "V" shape on the top middle part of your nail will make the nail grow towards the centre, to fix up the missing part. It didn't work for me.I used to perform mini surgeries on my toe once in awhile, just trying to get that ingrown nail out of my bleeding toe!Imagine doing rugby and wrestling in high school?New shoes is a must. Don't keep shoes that are tight and don't allow your toes space.I had my toenails pulled out (without enough anaesthetic), and I thought that was going to be the cure. The nails just grew back, then started to go ingrown again.Seriously. I love my last visit to the doctor. Some guy just cuts straight down on the sides of both big toe nails, damages the base where it grows from, and I've never had a problem since. I just have narrower nails than others, but I like it.
See a podiatrist.
You can do it yourself, but it's not going to feel good. At least a podiatrist can numb you up. An ingrown toenail comes from trimming the nail too close and rounded. You're suppose to cut the nail straight across. Good luck.
I have been told that you can soak your foot in warm water to soften the toenail then cut a V in the middle of the toenail. I've never tried that so I can't say if it works or not. I usually soak the foot in warm water to soften the nail then get in there and cut it out with a pair of clippers that I have cleaned with alcohol.
The following is from WebMd.What Causes Ingrown Toenails?
Some common causes of ingrown toenail include cutting the nails too short or not straight across, injury to the toenail, and wearing shoes that crowd the toenails.How Can Ingrown Toenails Be Treated?
In mild cases, ingrown toenails may be treated with a 15-20-minute soak in warm water. Dry cotton can be placed under the corner of the nail. Talk to your doctor if you are experiencing increasing pain, swelling and drainage of the area. Minor surgery can be performed to remove the part of the nail that is poking into the skin.How Can Ingrown Toenails Be Prevented?
You can prevent ingrown toenails by:Wearing shoes that fit properly
Keeping your toenails at a moderate length and trimming them straight across
Wearing protective footwear
Ouch. Depends on how "ingrown" it is. Many factors with a ingrown toenail. How long has it been ingrown?
Is it infected?
I have suffered with an IG toenail for about 12 years. My left big toenail. I understand your pain completely.
When it gets bad, I soak it in epsom salts and the HOTTEST water I can stand and then cut it. Always be careful in the direction you cut the nail.
It depends on the growth direction. I had a actual "spike of a part of the nail growing straight down into the flesh of my toe". I could not even have a bed sheet touch it. Never went to a doc for it. I just soaked it and cut it. Best thing to do is keep watch of it. You can purchase toenail fungus/ infection products over the counter. Best I found was made by Sally Hansen. I used to paint it on the toe whether it needed it or not. Made it much better.
Dont wear fake leather shoes, let your toes breathe when ever it is possible by wearing no shoes or pure cotton socks.
** also depends on how the ingrown nail started. Was it due to injury or poor quality of shoes or other?
For pain the epsom salts work wonders and aids in softening the nail so you can trim it without as much pain. check out the link I added.
Best to U and your Toe.
K
Yes there is. Soak for a little bit in warm water, take some tylenol. Use something flat, ex) nail file, tooth pick, ect. to lift up the corner. ( Oh yeah, its GONNA HURT! but its better than surgery!)Then take a small piece of cotton from a q-tip or cotton ball, and place it under enough to hold it up, but not to far, and volia, after a couple of days it wil be fixed. (Not to mention right after putting the cotton in, it feels SO much better!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
vc .net