Saturday, October 31, 2009

Shin splints?

Help Shin Splints. I have had a gradual build up over months of shin splints. I have seen a phisio. First treatments ultra sound etc. and advised to renew my Orthotics (Flat foot) I did this and had treatment over 6 weeks. I also rested for 6 weeks and began to slowly train on grass. Unfortunately, I am now in the same pain as I was at the start (pain is inside shin near calf) I continue to use RICE. And stretching, but am at my wits end. Do I rest for an other 6 weeks? Any advise welcome nickdarroch@gmail.com
Answer:
You have to relax the muscle...its spaztic right now. lie down life your leg over yur heart and ice it. it helps alot.
yeah, rest is the only thing that allows your muscles to heal. If you could get some kind of topical, or even oral steroid it would speed up the healing process. Ask the physio to give you iontophoresis with dexamethasone. It uses an electrical current to push some liquid steroids into the affected areas.
How do you walk and run, and what condition are your shoes ?A primary cause of shin splints can be a lazy running gait, in which the runner leaves the knees low, and over uses shin muscles to lift the toes so they clear the ground. If it hurts to tap your foot to music right now, that's a good possibility. Same muscle.Thin soles, or worn shoes my not provide enough cushioning if you have a hard landing on the ground.Give them a week off. Then start with some brief running in place, working at lifting your kness so your thighs are just below parallel to the ground. Get you hip flexors stronger so this becomes natural for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
vc .net