Saturday, October 31, 2009

Should I get a spinal injection?

I have been suffering with severe back pain for the past 2 months. The MRI has discovered a herniated disk. A spinal injection has been recommended. Should I proceed with this injection, has anyone been happy with the results, are there any alternate choices? Please advise, Thank you
Answer:
If you have a herniated disk, the injections "might" help with the pain. But, that would be just a "band-aid"... not a cure. The disk will still be pushing on the nerve, and the pain will come back. Depending the the severity of the protrusion, physicial therapy could help to get the disk off the nerve. But once a disk has been injured, it will never "heal" itself. That area will always be prone to protrusion, even after surgery, if that is needed. Ask your neurologist if physicial therapy would help, but be prepaired to make several lifestyle changes, ie not lifting/twising/bending. If surgery has to be done, get it done.. the longer you wait, inflamation will build up in that area, possibly making it worse.
A spinal injection is great for pain but pain only. You will have to do something about what caused that herniation and take the pressure off or when the drugs wear off the pain returns. Try chiropractic where they offer flexion-distraction techniques and or spinal decompression. They will work.
It depends on the severity of the pain and herniation of the disk.I have a herniated/degenerated disk between l4 and l5. I'm only 23, but whatever the case it's painful as a mofo! I had a shot of anti inflammatory medicine, cortisone with not much long term success. I know the shots work. I am actually getting 2 shots tomorrow with different meds and into the joints as opposed to the colume as was before. I know they work because my father has the same issues as I do, but multiplied by 15. He has 4 herniated disks, 5 almost 100% degenerated disks, and bone spurs...he's in enough pain to put down a rhino. But once every 3-6 months, AS NEEDED, he gets the shots and solves the pain for 3-6 months.I would suggest the shots, then chiropractic approach to stretch out the back and try to get the disk back in there.Good luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
vc .net