Saturday, October 31, 2009

Shin Bruise - Is this normal??

Hi...yesterday I banged my shin, and it hurt at first like any ordinary shin bump...but then it started to hurt more and more and today it's really getting painful to walk on. I have bumped my shin many times before but never had it get nearly this painful. There is a pretty big bump on my shin. I doubt very much it's broken anything as the pain when I hit it really wasn't overwhelming and the pain didn't get really bad til about 17 hours after. I've broken things before and they usually give you instant pain and would ache long before now. Is this normal? It really is very painful to walk on! Thanks.
Answer:
You might have bruised the bone. The tibia is the bone right there, and there are an awful lot of nerves right in the outer sheath of bone. Bruising that is quite common and quite painful. Ice can reduce the pain and swelling, as can ibuprofen. Don't put ice right on the skin, as it can damage it; put it in a ziploc bag with some cold water to distribute the coldness, and wrap it in a paper towel or washcloth.If the pain does not abate in a couple of days, get it xrayed, you may have chipped the bone. Not much they can do for that, unless it is displaced, but you should know; in any case, small fractures show up on xrays better after a couple of days.Good luck,
Julie
yall, when ya get a bruise on yalls shin then i think yall get a dent or a bump
my brother get alot of bumps and dents on his shin (he works at the zoo in aussie.)
yall should get an ice pack for it ; )

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
vc .net